Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: car run fine, what about detonation?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member GOOBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2000
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    my car doesn't seem to have any detonation,i really can't hear any,i don't have the J&S installed yet.I set my timing between the red mark and the white mark,because i figure the red is 16' and the white is TDC,so in the middle should be about 8 degrees,right?

    ------------------
    94 hybrid gsr
    jrsc in a week
    Type R cams 4 sale
    STR gears 4 sale
    14" slicks with rims 4 sale

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2000
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would have someone set it for you if you can't do it yourself. Timing isn't something you want to guesstimate.

    ------------------
    I live my life on the line.............the redline!

    1994 Granada Black Pearl Civic coupe w/ 96 LS motor soon to be charged, supercharged that is.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 1999
    Posts
    795
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Get a timing light and check your timing the correct way. Hook up the J&S as soon as you get a chance.

    ------------------
    Marc
    1997 Civic EX, Supercharged

  4. #4
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Between the white and red line is about 16 degrees, yes.

    If no audible detionation is heard, your most likely ok. I would think about getting a J&S Safeguard sometime too. I'm really glad I got mine.

    ------------------
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/integra/
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/aa/
    http://www.groupbuycenter.com/

  5. #5
    Inactive Member CiRRuS's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 28th, 1999
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am only running my JRSC at 6psi, so do I really need to have a J&S Safeguard? And how does Detonation sounds like? thanx for the help guys.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Zach's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2000
    Posts
    43
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It was kind of like a crackling noise when I was pounding my old turbo motor before I intercooled it and then it was fine. I wouldn't think you would have detonation problems at 6psi unless your timing is off.

    ------------------
    I live my life on the line.............the redline!

    1994 Granada Black Pearl Civic coupe w/ 96 LS motor soon to be charged, supercharged that is.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can have ping even if you have a 6psi kit, even if the timing is right, since there are several factors that can effect it.

    It sounds like rapid ticking, that goes away usually if you get into WOT. Listen for it at mid RPM's.

    You don't need the J&S, but If you don't have it, make sure your timing is at 8 and you have 93 octane gas, or if you are at high altitudes, 92 is fine. Just listen for rapid clicks, and you should be ok.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member GSRDPM's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I understand where you are coming form GOOBER.

    Hey everyone. I seem to be getting more ping lately. I am running of 93 octane gas. I have the J&S (sensitivity at about 11 o'clock) and at mid range RPMs (3-4.5K), I am seeing, at times, 3-4 lights light up AND hearing some ping confused. I have been trying to adjust my timing.

    I have the Helms manual.
    I do all the steps as described. When I get my timing gun, I can see the (bold) white line (tdc) and the three closely grouped lines. My believe that the red line is 16 degrees btdc, the faint white line which is next to it and closer to the tdc line is 14 degrees btdc and the faint white line which is on the other side of the red line, away from TDC is 18 degrees btdc. AM I RIGHT?

    If so, HOW DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE BELOW 14 degrees BTDC??? Should there be marks or are you supposed to guess? this is driving me crazy. HELP!

    Sorry about the long post.

    ------------------
    Tom

    1996 Cypress Green Pearl Acura Integra 4 DR
    JRSC with JR fuel pump upgrade
    J&S Safeguard
    Tokico Illumina Shocks & Eibach Pro-kit Springs
    Dunlop D60/A2 JLBs (205 50 15) on stock 15 x 6 wheels (street)
    Kumho V700 Victoracers (205 50 15) on 15x7 rims (autocross)
    Century infant and booster child seats in back!!!

    [This message has been edited by GSRDPM (edited February 28, 2000).]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member GOOBER's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2000
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    lund,how about after my j & s , can i advance the timing to say 12-14 degrees.also , my IAB valve on my sc hybrid ,the top part of the valve broke off , since this valve has no vaccum lines connected,does this make a difference ?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're right.

    I had the luxury of measuring and painting 8 and 10 degree marks on my kitchen table.

    You could probably do it on the crank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •